48 Ways Going Vegetarian Has Made My Life Better*****
By Nurse Lyn 🙂
I’ve been trying to be a vegetarian off and on, and in greater and mostly lesser degrees for about 45 years. But for just about a year now (the actual date is fuzzy, since I phased out veal 45 years ago, then lamb, then pork except bacon and ham, then beef except hamburger, and finally about 16 months ago stopped it all including most fish.) I still eat clams and shrimp occasionally and tuna…. But, I am also now off all dairy except cheddar or asiago cheese and eggs twice a week or so and very very occasionally cheese pizza. All the rest of dairy is gone from my foods now. Hence, I don’t eat chocolate, cakes with buttercream frosting, cookies, candy or ice cream – all made with milk. And lots of other foods. Once I started seeing the clips of animal factory farming, slaughter, treatment of animals in general – I just could not eat it anymore. Dairy cows are treated horrifically.
And that is why I am working my way off of milk products too. This is a process – not and
overnight decision for some of us – but let me tell you some of the benefits that I have seen.
*****Let me also caution you – talk to your physician before making any radical permanent changes in your diet. Do your research. Read up on this. Make an informed decision WITH your physician – especially if you suffer from chronic disease of any kind.
Ways Going Vegetarian Has Made My Life Better
- I took 10 minutes off my swim time doing laps and go nearly twice as far.
- I can walk a mile or two now anytime I want to because my inflammation is gone from eating no meat or junk food that contains animal products.
- I am not vegan but the only milk products I eat now are butter and hard cheese and mostly only when I am in restaurants. I have not gone vegan in my clothing either but hope to.
- I have more grocery money to spend on specialty foods. (Meat is very pricey if you haven’t noticed!!)
- There’s no reason for me to even think of stopping at McDonald’s.
- There’s a lot more room in the freezer.
- I’m helping the environment without trying.
- i spend less on vitamins and supplements because I am eating them in my meals more now.
- Random moles and bumps on my body have disappeared.
- It gave me a reason to start a new page in my website.
- When I wake up in the morning I am not logy – but full of energy – and I awaken earlier! Most mornings I am up before the sun or at least with it – and loving it.
- I don’t even have to think about adding vegetables to my meals. They ARE my meals!
- I’ve discovered my local health food store is The Big Y – whodduh thunk?
- I spend 70% of my grocery shopping time and money in the produce section.
- I’ve learned to appreciate all of nature a lot more than I used to.
- I love my kitty more than ever – he is more special to me – although he can’t be vegetarian 🙁 But knowing for sure how sentient he is makes him all the more lovable.
- I discovered almond milk, cashew milk, rice milk, coconut milk, and so many foods that are so much more healthy than the food I was eating before.
- I discovered a few of my friends have wonderful vegetarian recipes – I realized vegetarians can eat almost everything else you eat at the table and just forget the meat too – if they want!!
- I am closer to my daughter who did it first, and went fully vegan as well – and lost about 30 pounds without even trying!
- My boyfriend started eating healthier because we eat together twice a week and I set a good example for him.- He has lost 40 lbs – far from vegetarian but seeing the benefits!
- Saturday mornings at the farmers market are the best.
- I eat 10 times the variety of foods I used to.
- I’ve never tried so many different smoothies.
- I’ve started sprouting and my favorite is pea sprouts!
- I think way more about the other stuff in food besides protein, carbs, and fat.
- I discovered nutritional yeast – great flavors in herbs I had not used before.
- I discovered vegetable proteins come in many different forms and textures and make wonderful adjuncts to my vegetables – desserts and even breakfast.
- I learned that I like kale, collards, stir fried bok choy quinoa, bulgur, and brown rice.
- I tried more new recipes this year than I ever have before.
- I became aware of the Amazon Rain Forest Destruction which is a result of raising cattle and the food to feed them.
- I learned the World Wide Web is chuck full of information and support on how to become and be a vegetarian.
- It is also full of video clips on why factory farming animals and fish is disgusting and wrong and why I no longer desire it.
- I learned that eventually I wanna give up even the little bit of tuna I ocassionally eat because there is great cruelty in the way fisherman are catching wild fish as well as in farming them.
- I learned that it’s not only about animals and fish – it’s about what factory farming billions of cows and the food to feed them has done to our ecosystem, environment, atmosphere and rain forest (again yes!)
- I’ve learned there’s even more than that – it’s about stopping diseases like diabetes and drug resistance to bacteria; because of the way animals are factory farmed.
- I started using my food processor and my grinder and my apple peeler gizmo and bought a new peeler that shreds carrots and beets and other vegetables into strings, making for really appetizing salads.
- I’ve learned the importance of supporting small local farms.
- I lost a lot of body fat and fluid.
- Almost none of my food comes in packages.
- I discovered Ezekiel sprouted-grain breads.
- I eat more nuts and beans than ever before and I am more full on less food.
- The beans don’t give me flatus now. LOL.
- I discovered ginger tea and was motivated to cut caffeine from my diet – healthier.
- I fall asleep so much easier now and sleep deeper too without caffeine or animal products.
- I have a voice here to share what I’m doing with lots of other motivated people.
- When I hear about horrors of factory farms, I feel angrier, but less guilty.
- I have no desire to eat junk food because most of it contains animal products.
- I have lessened my desire for sweets to almost zero without even trying.
- I discovered if I do want sweet – Fruit suffices nicely now and is vegan!!
- I just feel better – emotionally, physically, ethically, mentally, completely!!